Sunday, May 29, 2011

and so it began...


A little over two years ago, my husband and I bought our first house. When we moved in, there was still snow on the ground and we had no idea what was lurking underneath. As it began to melt, the first thing I saw were hens and chicks. I had no idea what they were, but I thought they were pretty cool looking. I was so clueless that first year, I had one of my neighbors walk around the house with me and tell me which things were plants and which things were weeds!



This is what our house looked like that first summer. I didn't make many changes that summer. I was just trying to make sure I didn't end up killing anything! Last summer things changed. I decided the rocks had to go! I'd never planned out flower beds or anything before so it was definitely a challenge. Well, that and all of those rocks! I pulled out all of the rocks, divided and moved hostas, daylilies and hens and chicks and added lots of new things. By the end of the summer, my arms looked awesome and the front of the house looked like this:


Professional landscaper I am not, but man it feels like home! Now when I sit on my front step I look around at all of the work I've done and it makes me so proud. All of the memories of back aches seem to disappear. Now I see this instead of rocks...
...and I am so hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment